Shop the Hot Serial Store at Shapeways

Thursday, November 13, 2014

The First Post!

Welcome to post #1, of the Hot Serial Toys blog!  You’re probably wondering what “Hot Serial Toys” is . . . but then you think “How long is this post??  I’m on my lunch break for crying out loud!”



Well, Hot Serial Toys is really just the moniker that I’ve given to my tiny toy-making operation.  What’s up with the name, you ask?  I’ll save that long story for a future post.  In the meantime, I can regale you with the long-winded story (about the previously mentioned tiny operation) that is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat!!  However, don't get so engrossed that you let your guard down and drift the mouse cursor away from that minimize button on your internet browser window.  You never know when the boss will stroll by . . .  after all, you're supposed to be working!  

So what is this weirdly named thing?  It’s a hobby.  And like most hobbies, it's really fun and can sometimes cause headache, nausea, drowsiness, fever and chronic back pain.  Wait, what?  While I guess most of that can be true, I don't want to be a downer.  Let's change the subject.  So, name is Todd Grimes and I’ve been collecting toys for my entire life.  I won't get into my whole riveting personal details and back story because again, I don't want you to get too engrossed and drift from that minimize button!  Be ready!  When she strolls up and asks you if you can work a few extra hours this week but not log it on your timecard because you’ve already maxed your overtime hours, and then walks away, this blog will still be here!  Then you slip on headphones, but don't turn any music on so you can still listen to co-workers conversations but pretend you can't hear, and also still hear boss lady approach the next time, and CLICK – you maximize this blog right back up!  Actually don't full-screen maximize it . . .  you know, make the window kind of small-ish on the screen but keep the cursor parked of that minimize button!

Holy COW, where was I??

Anyway, during this life-long love of toys, there has always been one aspect that takes it from a fun hobby to sort of . . . (I really hate to use the “O” word because it makes one sound crazy but) an obsession.  And it’s a question:  “Golly, why don't they make the toys that I want?!?!”   You have to say “golly” because it makes it “cute” rather than “crazy.”

Through a process known as 3D printing (also known as rapid prototyping) I discovered a way to make exactly the toys that I want, from my own home studio!  I wanted to create a place on the web where I can share my creations, and hopefully get a chance to see the work of other designers in the 3D printing community.  What exactly is 3D printing, and how does it work?  I’ll save that for another post as well!  I hope you enjoy the Hot Serial, but watch out . . . you WILL burn your mouth!! 

2 comments:

  1. 3D has come a long way I like your stuff and can only imagine what the future of 3D printing is

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, can't wait to see and hear of more of your fantastic work my friend.

    @AT_GIJoe (Jerry)

    ReplyDelete